Monday, June 28, 2010

June 28 Haiti Day 1


Thanking the Lord for safe arrival--of all 14 persons and 35 checked bags (plus at LEAST 14 carry-ons) through 4 airports, 2 countries, and mobs of unpredictable people—to FOHO (Friends of Haiti Organization) in Port-au-Prince. 
The airport was just as crazy as ‘they’ say. We were privy (little closer than we’d have liked to have been) to an argument that got physical between some local individuals at baggage claim, and had much confusion and a bit of mayhem between customs and our ride to the dorm.  However, prayers for safety and ability to stay flexible and unified as a team were answered perfectly well.
The driving was just as crazy as they say.  No rules. Less courtesy.  We saw an eyeful en route to our FOHO dorm.  Everything from poverty to earthquake damage to the tent cities to homeless children running wild in the streets to people just living life in apparently very mundane ways.
The weather is just as hot and muggy as they say.  It’s still about 68 degrees F outside, at 8:45pm (that’s 9:45pm NY time).
We are settling in and preparing for our first day at the work site tomorrow—beginning at 6am. That’s when work actually starts—not when we get up and get to the site, about 20 minutes away.  Gotta beat the heat!
Bottom line: God went before us, He is here, and He makes straight our paths. We are thankful to be in His presence, and super excited to see where He will lead us tomorrow.

10 comments:

  1. so glad you are all there safely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise God for His protection and mercy! I bet you are glad you are leaving almost all that luggage behind! Lots of prayers are going up for you all and we are confident that the Lord will use you, work in you and bless you.
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you all got their OK. We're praying for God to use you all in a mighty way. God bless. Randy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm keeping you all in my prayers. I'm expecting you back with some really great stories - so try to remember everything!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now PB, make sure you keep things as organized as possible. I sure hope you have Excel spreadsheets of the work you are doing. An itinerary is a must... hahaha just kidding! I can't wait to swap our life changing stories... only 4 days till "I Do"! I am praying daily for all of you and all of Haiti.
    Thanks for being my inspiration - Kelli -

    ReplyDelete
  6. So wonderful to know you are all there safely!! We are praying for you constantly and looking forward to the next blog report!! Stay safe!! Debbie, Nathan and Adam.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so very, very thankful that you guys are there safe with all luggage and belongings. Sorry about the "scuffle" that you witnessed - welcome to REAL LIFE and real people. A missionary friend gives me pictures and updates from Haiti. I'm praying that Jesus gives each of you grace and STRENGTH as you embark on this exhaustive, spiritual journey.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you all got there safe and sound. Keeping you in our thoughts and prayers daily.
    Hope all goes well and you have a fruitful ministry.
    Pat Lyke

    ReplyDelete
  9. Prayers work. We are keeping you all in our thoughts. Mary I really really miss you. Love Mom,Dad,&Dee

    ReplyDelete
  10. The airport was nuts, I tossed 35 bags weighing 50 lbs each at Chris and Mary as the bags were coming around the luggage belt. Craig and Jamie scrambled for the carts. I hit a few people and they hit me right back with their bags. Evan at that point. Then the totes, the inspector wanted to look into to each tote, all seven of them. I started to get nervous, Dinecia to my rescue. Dinecia speaks Haitian Creole, explained that I was a Fire Chief and then I pulled the Fire Chiefs card, showed her my badge and it worked. She only inspected two totes out of seven and then she gave me a smile and a wink, then we left before she had second thoughts. By Ed, Chris and Dinecia.

    ReplyDelete